Reports to: Director of High Performance and Research Innovation
FLSA Status: Exempt
About us: We are the professional women’s soccer team proudly representing the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Launched in 2012, we are a founding team in the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL). Our vision is to create an environment in which all members of our organization can thrive. We are driving forward the future of women’s sports and building a team internally that shares that vision.
The Washington Spirit leadership is setting a vision and building an infrastructure in which all the players and staff can thrive. The newly formed Performance, Medical and Research Innovation Department will be a key part of that process. The strategic vision of the Department is to ‘Empower, educate and develop women by providing bespoke high performance and medical support, creating a unique and inspiring World Class environment.’
If you are interested in being part of that vision and have a passion for the innovation and growth of women’s sport then apply below.
Position summary: The Performance Nutritionist/Dietician will:
- Provide individual and team nutrition services, including individual counseling, bespoke strategies, and education, to enhance the health, recovery, and performance of athletes.
- Develop optimal nutritional strategies specific to female athletes.
- Support and develop women as women.
- Work closely with the Technical, Medical and Performance Multi-Disciplinary Team.
Essential duties & responsibilities:
- Cutting edge and forward thinking!
- Direct the provision of nutrition-related services for the Washington Spirit.
- Provide nutritional support to players during all training sessions and games, with some travel required.
- Educate and support players, as well as produce appropriate visuals, on optimal nutrition for training, competition, return to play, recovery, weight management, hydration, immunity, travel, and performance supplementation.
- Counsel and create individualized high performance, and recovery, nutrition plans for players.
- Implement pre/post training and game day fueling and recovery shake strategy.
- Develop and implement cutting edge nutritional strategies aimed at optimizing recovery and performance.
- Conduct nutritional assessments and screenings, including assessing and analyzing dietary practices, body composition, blood profiling and energy balance in the context of athletic performance and health.
- Implement team nutrition plans, including menu building, consultation on team meals and snacks based on schedule and activities, at the training facility and during away camps and fixtures.
- Research, evaluate, recommend, purchase, distribute and monitor permissible and effective nutritional supplements with attention to USADA, WADA and IOC rules, regulations, and nutrition related bylaws.
- Lead on the Washington Spirit hydration and fueling strategy, including bespoke plans for each player.
- Lead and develop fueling stations and performance supplementation, including scheduling, procurement, ordering, receiving, and inventory.
- In collaboration with the Performance and Medical staff create and monitor off-season nutrition programs.
- Co-ordinates nutrition for home facility, domestic and/or international travel, for example catering, hotel, airlines, competition, for individuals and the team.
- Build and foster relationships with food and supplement companies, working with the marketing team to establish partnership deals.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Performance and Research Innovation, and Director of Medical to provide Multi-Disciplinary support, and education, by implementing and monitoring optimal female health, wellbeing, recovery, physical profiling, strength and conditioning, training and match load monitoring, nutrition, psychology, and return to play strategies.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Performance and Research Innovation, and Director of Medical Services, collaborate with the Performance and Medical staff in the review, development and co-ordination of Applied Performance and Medical research projects, contributing to an evolving world leading High Performance support program.
- Manage and mentor PhD students, undergraduate student volunteers, and interns.
- Attend and assist with workshops, in-service meetings, professional development courses/workshops and other development opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
You will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition Science or Dietetics required.
- Master’s degree in Dietetics is preferred.
- Two (2) years of experience working as a sports dietitian in a professional or in a comparable setting working directly with elite athletes, preferably in soccer.
- Experience working with female athletes, with an understanding of female physiology.
- Ability to accurately measure body weight, assess body composition, hydration, sweat rate/composition, and evaluate energy balance and needs.
- Knowledge of food service quality and safety procedures.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations of supplementation for athletic governing bodies: e.g., USADA, WADA, NSF.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation, and counseling skills.
- Have a passion for innovation and the growth of women’s sport.
- Enthusiastic and energetic team player, with experience of working as part of a Multi-Disciplinary team.
- Possess a strong work ethic and friendly demeanor.
- Knowledge of NWSL and women’s professional soccer preferred.
- Possess exceptional organizational skills with a strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize/multi-task.
- Advanced and creative presentation skills.
- Strong PC skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including scheduled games that can/will be weekends, evenings and perhaps Holidays.
- Washington Spirit offers a competitive compensation package, medical, dental, vision, disability insurance, life insurance and 401k retirement plan.
All applicants must pass a pre-employment background check and be fully vaccinate against Covid 19.
Back To All Vacancies
Academy Nutritionist – U18 and U21’s
Lead Performance Nutritionist (British Cycling)
Associate Director of Performance Nutrition
Senior Performance Nutritionist
Major League Performance Nutritionist and Food Service Manager
Assistant Athletic Director for Performance Nutrition
Performance Nutrition Intern
Performance Nutritionist Men's Academy & Women's First Team
IRFU Performance Nutritionist, Women’s National XVs Team and Pathways
Academy Nutrition Lead
Performance Nutritionist/Sports Dietitian
First team Women and Academy Nutritionist
Nutrition | Product communication specialist
Academy and WSL Nutritionist
Assistant Performance Dietitian
Senior Sports Nutritionist/Dietitian