Episode 130 of the Institute of Performance Nutrition‘s We Do Science podcast! In this episode, Laurent Bannock discusses contextualising fat oxidation during exercise with Ed Maunder PhD(c) (Sports Performance Research Institute New Zealand, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand).
Discussion topics include:
- Defining and differentiating “fat oxidation” and “fat burning”
- Fat as a “fuel” for exercise: storage and metabolism
- Substrate oxidation (fuel use) during endurance and ultra-endurance exercise
- Substrate availability and performance: a case for optimising maximal fat oxidation?
- Testing methods to determine maximal fat oxidation (FatMax) and its value to inform performance nutrition strategies
- Maximal fat oxidation: what we know, don’t know, and what’s relevant to elite and recreational endurance athletes
- Relevance to exercise performance: substrate utilisation during Ironman triathlon case study discussion
Key paper(s) discussed / referred to: