Episode 159: Exercise induced muscle damage: What is it, what causes it and what are the nutritional solutions?
With Dr Daniel Owens and Professor Kevin Tipton
Episode 159 of the Institute of Performance Nutrition‘s “We Do Science” podcast! In this episode, Laurent Bannock discusses exercise-induced muscle Damage with Dr Daniel Owens PhD (Liverpool John Moores University, UK) and Professor Kevin Tipton (The Institute of Performance Nutrition, UK).
Discussion Topics Include:
- Overview of Exercise Induced Muscle Damage (EIMD)
- The evidence to date on EIMD: Why some of the research should be reviewed with caution
- Proposed mechanisms of EIMD
- EIMD and muscle soreness and role in the temporary loss of muscle function
- Nutritional interventions that accelerate recovery of muscle function and ameliorate soreness
- Why persistent use of nutritional interventions that accelerate recovery may impinge on muscle adaptation
- The potential hormetic effect of long term use of nutritional aids
Podcast Episode Transcript: Download PDF Copy
Key Paper(s) Discussed / Referred to: