Episode 162: Protein and weight loss in exercisers & athletes
With Professor Kevin Tipton
Episode 162 of the Institute of Performance Nutrition‘s “We Do Science” podcast! In this episode, I Laurent Bannock discusses “Protein and weight loss in exercisers & athletes” with Professor Kevin Tipton (The Institute of Performance Nutrition, UK).
Discussion Topics Include:
- Overview of the concept of weight loss, energy balance, caloric restriction and impact on training adaptations and performance
- General weight loss vs quality weight loss: importance of body composition focussed strategies
- Optimal protein intake during caloric restriction in elite athletes
- How much protein?
- Protein timing and quality: does it matter?
- Protein supplements: value and practicality beyond a ‘first first approach’