Episode 150 of the Institute of Performance Nutrition‘s We Do Science podcast! In this episode, Laurent Bannock discusses muscle protein breakdown in response to nutrition and exercise with Professor Kevin Tipton PhD (UK).
Discussion topics include:
- Overview of Muscle Protein Breakdown (MPB) as an important metabolic component of muscle remodelling, adaptation to training, and increasing muscle mass.
- Role of resistance exercise on MPB and Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS).
- Practical nutrition recommendations for interventions to suppress MPB: a worthwhile strategy or not? What the evidence actually tells us is explored!
- Can nutrition impact any individual muscle protein?
- Why strategies aimed at optimising post exercise nutrition should focus on the response of muscle protein synthesis.
Key Paper(s) Discussed / Referred to: