Episode 149 of the Institute of Performance Nutrition‘s We Do Science podcast! In this episode, Laurent Bannock discusses Vitamin D and the athlete with Dr Daniel Owens PhD (Liverpool John Moores University, UK).
Discussion topics include:
- Overview of Vitamin D and its unique characteristics
- Why Vitamin D is one of the most on trend sports supplements used by elite and recreational athletes
- From health to performance: The biological influences of Vitamin D (incl. immunity, bone, and muscle)
- Deficiency, insufficiency and adequacy explored (incl. influencing factors such as diet, sun exposure during winter, skin colour, clothing and sunscreen etc)
- Test, don’t guess: assessing Vitamin D Status
- Vitamin D supplements (incl. dosage, what forms, when, and when not to supplement)